Monday, March 28, 2011

Jared 3-28

Hello Family!
It's good to hear from you! And that you all got to hang out with Bethany and Brandon. How's Chandler doing? Does he still remember me?
Have I told you about the garbage trucks here in Taiwan? They're fun, they play the same music every morning during personal study, it's good fun. Sometimes we also hear them play Bethooven, that's always a treat :)
This week has been good. I never thought I'd say this, but it's cold here. It gets pretty chilly, and it rains. It's so fun! Last night was one of the coldest wettest days on my mission, and it was such a blessing. We've found that only the really prepared souls go outside in the rain, so lot's of people were really willing :)
We also got to spend some time in the mountains yesterday! One of our investigators, Liu dixiong lives up there and we finally got to meet his son, and drop off The Family Proclamation to the world. Then spent some proselyting time up in the mountains.
I'm officially on my second move call now! I'm still with my same companion (Elder Johnson) in my same area (Taiping), but it's exciting because all the new elders came in, and I'm no longer the youngest on island!
Oh and when the new elders came in I got to go do Dan Jones with them! (Dan jones is the activity we did on our first night on island, standing on the soap box in the super crowed area) And this time I got to be "one of the older guys," it was such a different experience this time. It was still just a dream, but it was weird... I seriously was completely blessed with the gift of tongues for that night. I felt like I was speaking perfect Chinese and I understood everything that was going on, so that I could help this new Elder who just got on island learn how to contact. And then when we got back to our area I started speaking my broken Chinese again... But it was fun for that night :P
I can testify to you that the gift of the Holy Ghost is real. The gifts of the Spirit are real, through the Holy Ghost we can really know the truth of all things. Because Joseph Smith restored the Gospel of Jesus Christ we can always have the Ghost with us as a constant companion. Pray to have it's guidance and it will guide you. I love you all!
-Elder Tate
Tang zhanglao

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 4:34 AM, k tate wrote:

Hola Nathan and Jared,

we had Bethany, Brandon and boys at our house this week so everything was wild, noisy and fun. Brandon spent most of his time driving around to interviews, so he was in and out, but the rest of us here were in party mode. We only played 3 games of Settlers and Dad won all of them. (He has much more practice.)

Bethany and I built a bed. Dad helped. It's huge - the head board is close to 6 feet high. It's in Natalie's room and she's not very happy about it. "Don't try and make me tell you that I like it," is a direct quote. Her bed and box spring used to sit on the floor and she said she liked being lower than the lamps on her night stands. Now, lying down, she's much higher.

My big news is I bought an I-pad. I went to the Apple store and they told me I had to wait in line at six in the morning with the other 200 people who line up every morning, but then I got an e-mail, an annoynomous tip from a friend's son who works there who told me when they were getting a shipment, how to get into the mall, and to be there by 4 am. I really didn't think I'd go, but Friday morning I happened to be awake at 3:30, so I went to the mall, got in through the food court, and settled down in front of the Apple store in two big, soft chairs that pulled together. It was sort of surreal. The lights were dim, strange music was playing, I sat and read. Around 5 people came running in and I think they were surprised to see me. They'd been outside standing in the rain and the security guard let them in. I'm sure they thought they'd be first in line (but oh no, that was me.) Everyone around me was talking about all the nifty things the Ipad could do and I felt like a faker because I don't know very much about computers or IPAds, but I really want one because it has 12 hours of battery, it's amazinglly compact and light, and it will be great for writing. It also never deletes anything, everything you write is automatically saved immediately, so never again will I lose any of my writing. I'm also jazzed about downloading books... although it's sort of dangerous that I can now have the books I want immediately, no more reserving them at the library and waiting weeks, or hunting for them at the stores. I'm sure I still haven't learned everything my new wonder toy can do and perhaps I never will, but I'm very excited about it.

The Barnettes left this morning. We're hoping they'll be back and that Brandon will take a job around here. We don't know what will become of Adam and we pray that he'll find a job. One man told Brandon that where and how he choses to practice is more important than who he marries. Brandon and I decided that that statement says a lot about him and not that much about working. How you support your family and contribute to the world is important, but not as important as your family.

I've been thinking about life changes, how when I was at my dad's I was comfortable, I knew it well. When I went running every morning, I knew all the streets. I knew exactly where I was because it used to be where I belonged, but it's not where I belong anymore. I belong with Dad and the girls (or whomever happens to be in our home.)And it's the same with Bethany. She knows Rancho, it used to be her home, she used to belong here, but now she belongs with Brandon and her family. I guess the trick is to find the best place for us to be at the different stages of our lives and make the very best use of our time and circumstances. Jared should be the best missionary he can be, Nathan should do the best he can at his internship, etc.

Today in ward conference President Brennan had brothers Clyne, Tennison, Giar, Brokaw, Cruise, Miahara, get up and give their testimonies about how joining the church was the best decision they ever made. It was pretty powerful and it made me think of all the people you're teaching and how you might be introducing them to what could be their best decision.

I love you and miss you. I hope you're making your best decisions everyday.
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment