Monday, January 17, 2011

Jared 1-17

Happy Birthday Mom!
I'm sorry I can't really send you anything cool. MTC doesn't really have cool stuff, but do you want a CTR ring? one of the 50 cent ones? I guess I could get you something nicer, I have like 10 dollars on my little blue card (the debit card for the MTC) it's pretty awesome, I'm like the richest guy here. I have about 10 more dollars than both of my companions combined :P
This week was way cool. It feels luike yesterday when I last wrote you though. Every week goes faster than the one previous. It's pretty crazy how time works here. I have a feeling that when I get to Taiwan the timing will start over and be crazy slow the first couple days then start speeding up. I want to go to Taiwan soooo badly it's not even funny! I keep hearing all the cool stuff about it and it's amazing! They have the most amazing accent there, it's so cool sounding. (In Chinese they have a Taiwanese accent) Occasionally I practice it, when my teachers aren't around because I should be learning "proper" Chinese here. But I find it so fun to speak like they do.
So on Saturday we had our first baptism! Still the fake pilot program, but it was still way cool. It's so real here, even if it's just my teacher we still did everything, except the actual ordinance. And all our other fake investigators came, it was cool! It made me want to be in Taiwan even more though because then I'd be helping really people. I gave a little talk during the baptism (all in Chinese of course) and another yesterday during Church (again in Chinese). Fun fact ever since the older group of elders left I've done something every week during Sacrament meeting (Sacrament prayer, regular prayer, talk) it's really good practice, and I have a ton of talks written out now :)
Hmmm what else happened this week.... Oh yeah Elder Holland came for the devotional on Tuesday! And there were like 4 other general authorities as well (The MTC Mission presidency changed so we had tons of important people). It was such a great devotional. I don't think any of the other ones could compare to that devotional, it was so uplifting and encouraging. He talked about the difference between the old scripted elders and the new preach my gospel elders. We are to first convert ourselves, then convert others. He said a couple things that have really stuck with me. "Your investigators deserve a practiced missionary." So if I don't work my hardest, not only am I letting God, my mission president and my companion down, I'll also let my investigators down, and I have a feeling I am going to love the people more than anything else. He also taught about how this generation of missionaries has to be better than his generation and him. It's just kind of weird to think of anybody being better than president Holland so that's hard to imagine, but I guess it makes sense. They had memorized scripts in their days, and now we have to actually know more than just memorizing. It's a pretty exciting responsibility actually :)
Ummmmm I don't know exactly else you all want to hear from me. So you should really ask more questions. Chinese is really progressing. English is now the abnormal for talking, I'm really trying to use Chinese as much as possible, and it really makes a huge impact. It's amazing how much you can accomplish with God on your side :)
Thank you for all that you do for me family :) I love you soooooo much!
-Elder Tate
P.S. Would it be at all possible for me to get my Chinese chess board? I know it's a lot to ask for, find my box of stuff, locate the Chinese chess board, use my money to send it... It's a hassle I know. But I really want it for the plane ride to Taiwan. Please and thank you! :D (Hey Natalie and Miranda, it's quite possible that Mom and Dad space, so I'm really counting on you. If you do a good job I'll send you something cool from Taiwan :D) Haha Much love!

No comments:

Post a Comment